Thursday, August 21, 2008

We are lucky to still have a house!

Yesterday Lukas and I went to pick up some food for dinner. When we got home and I was unlocking the door I could smell something burning. I go inside and the smell is very strong. I go to the laundry room thinking it was in there. Then I look down the hall and I see smoke. I run into our bedroom and there is even more smoke! I guess we left a lamp on and Lukas put it on the floor and it started smoking. The lamp was on on Dans shorts and Dans shorts were black and smoke was just coming off them. I hurried and picked them up and there was orange sparks which were just getting ready to burst out in flames. I threw them outside and turned the hose on them. I ran back in and threw water on our floor to put out the smoke where a big hole had burned. The smoke was pretty thick it was making my eyes sting and making me cough. The smell was awful. We decided we should leave and spend the night at Dans parents house so we could air ours out. This morning was spent doing lots of laundry to get the smoke smell out of our bedding and and curtains. Luckily the smoke smell didn't reach our clothes in the closet. I also washed all the walls and dusted really well to help with the smoke smell. I am exhausted now after doing all of that work and just feeling overwhelmed with the whole situation. I just feel so blessed and so lucky to still have a house to live in with all of our things. If I wouldn't have gotten home right when I did we would have had a house in flames. Even though this isn't my house it feels like it and I would have been sad to loose it. I know sometimes I complain that it is too small and wonder how we are going to fit another baby in here. Right now though I am just so grateful to have a house knowing we could have lost everything.


This is the spot on the carpet that was burned. We cut out that piece of carpet so that we wouldn't still have to smell it.

5 comments:

Merrills said...

So glad you guys are fine and your house is still standing! Scary!

Algernon Sydney said...

Kind of funny that in your previous post Lukas is wearing fire truck shorts. I lit half our living room carpet on fire when I was 5. I was trying to make a torch with a stick and a whole roll of paper towels. I tried to put it out with my own personal fire hose; nothing better than the smell of pee on a fire. Needless to say, I got my @$$ kicked for that whole episode.

Kristy said...

You're one lucky lady. I'm glad you're ok and the house is still standing. I think Lukas topped Maxx in this one. You might have your hands fuller than mine!

rain said...

Whew. You totally dodged a bullet there. When Jeff and I lived in our apartment, we had one of those rope lights that we used in Riley's room for her nightlight. Anyway, Jeff threw a blanket over it one night, and went to bed. Luckily I was still at work...but when I came home, it was the same experience: I smelled smoke, I searched it out, found out it was in the baby's room, and panicked while throwing it out. Luckily it hadn't escalated to full blown sparks then, just a lot of melting, but still, it is an eye opener. Not only does it make you more thankful for blessings great and small, but makes you realize that everything is a lot more dangerous than you'd realized. I'm glad the only damage was the carpet. You guys were lucky.

Staci DeVoogt said...

So glad that you guys and your house are okay. What a nightmare. Miss you guys and love you tons! Your little Lukas is getting so big. He is darling. Can't wait to see you guys in a few months.