Saturday, August 16, 2008

Odd bumps.

About four days ago Lukas got a little bump on his face. It looks just like a pimple and so I thought it was. Well yesterday while playing I noticed he had one on his forhead, one on his neck, two on his thumb, and some on his feet. I thought this was really odd and decided to take him to the Drs. I didn't want to deal with the after hours pediatrician office so I just ran down the street to the Drs. office that Dan and I go too. I have taken Lukas here before on in as needed basis. The Dr. wasn't positive what it was. He said it could be a mild case of the chicken pox. He also said it could be hand foot and mouth. He also said it could be just a viral infection. We pretty much ruled out hand foot and mouth because there wasn't a fever or blisters in his mouth. He was really leaning towards the chicken pox. So he gave me a perscription to give him to shorten the duration of it. Well I just didn't feel like it was the chicken pox. I came home googled them to see. I compared the pictures to the bumps on Lukas and just felt like that he didn't have them. Plus he has been vacinated for the chicken pox. Yes, I know you can still get a mild case even though you have been vaccinated. However, he hasn't been around anyone that has had the chicken pox so I couldn't figure out where he would have gotten it. I also googled hand foot mouth and ruled this out as well. He didn't have any bumps on the palms of his hands or bottom of feet. I didn't know if I should start him on the perscription or not. The next day he woke up and still had them. So I decided to take him to after hours at the pediatrician to get a second opinion. Well, guess what? He doesn't have chicken pox. I didn't think so. He has a virus that causes a rash. It is a similar virus to hand foot and mouth but isn't as severe as it. He said that he might get about ten more bumps before it goes away. He said that since he didn't have a fever that he wouldn't be too contagious. I can take him places as long as I keep him with me. No playing with other kids for about a week. He said it is spread through toy playing and sharing. He said that it is better to just keep him completley away from kids until then just in case. That is fine we don't really have to many plans to hang out with kids this next week. I just feel bad for Lukas. He said it usually starts with a sore throat. Maybe this is why Lukas was so sad and frustarted a few days ago. I can't wait till he can till me what is hurting him.

3 comments:

Merrills said...

So glad you found out what they were and that it isn't anything too serious. Hopefully, he's back to his normal, cute self soon!

rain said...

Phew. I'm glad it wasn't the chicken pox...that would be a nightmare to deal with, with little kids. They are so painful, and it would be so sad to see them hurt. It's always so scary when our babies are sick. I'm glad it's something little and should be all clear in a week. Good luck!

Also, it's the GREATEST when they can tell you what's wrong. That's the only rotten thing about babies...not being able to figure out why they are uncomfortable, or grouchy.

Kristy said...

I'm glad you stuck to your instincts. It's annoying when the "professionals" think they know your child better than you. I hope your feeling well and Lukas isn't wearing you out. I wish we were closer and he could come play with Sofia.