I had to post a cute picture of Lukas with his binky even if it is old just to honor the thing that kept me sane for so long!Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Bye Bye Binky, well sort of
I don't think anyone has a kid as addicted to the binky as much as I do. I knew the dreaded day was coming, however I was NOT looking forward too it. About five days ago I decided to take it away during the day. He is now only allowed to have it at bed times and naptimes. I usually give it to him thirty minutes before bed time and nap time. It is sort of out of purely selfish reasons I give it to him thirty minutes early. I have noticed since taking it away he isn't as cuddly because he doesn't get as sleepy without it. So in order to still have my baby cuddle with me I give it to him early. We are doing pretty well. We have only had a few melt downs. One was two days after I took it away and he scremed bloody murder for over an hour (so bad he was shaking.) and I finally gave in and gave it to him. I figured we had made a lot of progress and it would be okay as long as I took it away longer each and every day. The next melt down I just put him back in his crib with it for about fifteen minutes and then took it away and got him out and went outside. He has been fine since and we haven't had another melt down. I have already noticed in increase in talking. Even if most of it is jibberish. However, he has said two new words since then blanky and shoes. I was hoping for this since this was my main reason for taking it away. I really didn't want to inhibit his speech. Now I just need to get up the nerve to actually take it away at nap time and bed time. I don't think this will happen till Dan is done with school since I know I will need ALL the help I can get. I am not sure if I could handle night time by myself without a binky.
I had to post a cute picture of Lukas with his binky even if it is old just to honor the thing that kept me sane for so long!
I had to post a cute picture of Lukas with his binky even if it is old just to honor the thing that kept me sane for so long!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's hard to take away the things your babies love...even if you know that they aren't the best for them. With both of mine, it was their bottles at bedtime. I know, I know...I'm an awful mother, but they just loved it so much. It was really hard to take that last step. You're right to do what you're doing though, good job, it's a hard step.
I love binkys! Jarrett was over 2 and I had so many reasons why he needed it. They were all my reasons and he did fine when we took it away, but it is a little sad because it means they are getting older and a binky keeps them a baby - kind of.
Post a Comment