Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ear tubes


You can't tell by these pictures but little miss Blair got ear tubes today. First off let me say our ENT Dr. is SO awesome! Seriously, I have never met a more compassionate and caring dr. Her staff is just as amazing. We met with them last Friday and they got her in today, not even a week later. She is a mom of four and knows how much suffering these little ones and their famalies go through with ear issues. Her name is Dr. Heidi Hearas if anyone needs an ENT dr. She just does peds and only tonsils and ear tubes. Blair went in at 8:45 this morning. She did really well with not being able to eat or drink anything. I just distracted her upstairs until it was time to go. Thanks, to Dans parents who let Lukas sleep over so he wouldn't have to eat and drink anything in front of her. Plus she slept in later then when Lukas is here. We got there and waited for a bit then they brought us back. There were so many little ones at the surgical center today (I think most of them were Dr. Hearas she had 11 surgeries scheduled.) and it broke my heart every time they took them from their parents to take them back for surgery. When they took Blair I almost cried. She was so sad screaming and putting up a fight. Luckily the surgery went quickly and they came and got us out of the waiting room after about twenty minutes. The dr. came out and talked to us first. She said that Blairs right ear was still super infected and she had to drain out a lot of fluid and pus. Obviously the oral antibiotics weren't working at all. She said it should clear up with the antibiotic ear drops. She said we needed to go back to her office in two weeks to have her hearing checked. She didn't pass the hearing test afterwards. She said though this is common especially if the ear is still infected. I didn't realize Blair was having hearing issues. She always hears me when I call her name. She says about 5 words and dances to music. The dr. told us that she will hear so much better and her vocabulary will just explode then if she is talking so well with what has been going on with her ears. We went back to get her and she was just screaming. We couldn't get her to calm down and she refused to drink or eat anything. We finally left and just assumed she would stop with a change of scenery. After about 45 minutes she stopped. I am sure just the effects from the surgery and waking up and not seeing us just made her scared and sad and confused. She has been perfectly fine the rest of the day. She has been eating drinking and playing. We are so happy she seems to be doing so well. She has been such a trooper thorough everything. She is such a happy baby and she amazes me with her attitude and skills. I know this was a long post but I wanted to document this for her and for me.

3 comments:

ANeibaur said...

Oh poor Blair! Im sure that was scary for not just her, but her poor parents as well.
I hope she gets better soon.

Kristy said...

I'm sorry she had to go through all that! And for you guys too! Hopefully, this will be your answer to all her craziness. She is such a sweet, beautiful girl.

rain said...

Cole has two hernias when he was a baby...and watching him go into surgery so little was the saddest thing ever. But, it seems like after they heal, they're so much happier. They're so relieved and so much happier. Blair will be amazed at not being in pain all the time. I'm sure your life is about to get so much better!